Chapter 1 Study Questions
Directions: Answer the following questions in 2-3 COMPLETE sentences.
- What is Gregor’s job situation?
- Why doesn’t Gregor open the door when his mother calls him?
- What reaction does Gregor’s father have to his behavior?
- Who comes to Gregor’s house and why?
- Describe Gregor’s room. What is the picture hanging on the wall?
- Describe Gregor’s own attitude and reaction to his new predicament.
- What is everyone’s reaction when Gregor comes out of his room?
- Describe what life was like for Gregor before his transformation (at home and on the job).
- Metaphorically, what does it mean to be a “bug”? Give examples.
- In what ways do you think Gregor was like a “bug” even before his metamorphosis?
Analyzing Style and Content
Answer each of the following questions in a complete and thought-out paragraph (5-6 sentences).
1. Russian author Vladimir Nabokov once commented that the straightforward style of The Metamorphosis is in "striking contrast to the nightmarish tale". In 5 sentence minimum, describe the style of the novella and how the style enhances the nightmarish quality of the work.
2. Some readers of The Metamorphosis have proposed that Gregor is actually insane and only believes that he has been transformed into an insect. Think about this interpretation; What evidence can you find in the text to support or refute (contradict) this interpretation? Write 5 sentences minimum in which you pick and explain a side.