The Pearl Review Questions
- Who are the three important characters?
2. What kind of lifestyle do they have?
3. With what event in this chapter does the real action of the story begin?
4. Describe how Kino’s life is symbolized in “songs.” What contrasting songs are emphasized at different times?
5. What is the difference between the “city of grass huts” and the “city of stone”? How are we made aware of the difference (quote)?
6. What object of great value had Kino’s grandfather brought from Nayarit, and why was it so valuable?
7. Describe, in detail, how Kino searched for pearls.
8. After Kino finds the great pearl, what happens to Coyotito?
9. To what does Steinbeck compare the town?
10. What would Kino do with his riches?
11. What bad thing happened to make Juana want to throw away the pearl?
12. Explain the public attitude the dealers had toward Kino and his “Pearl of the World”? Why was it different than their private attitude (what they thought behind Kino’s back)?
13. By the end of Chapter 4, what decision had Kino reached concerning what to do with the pearl? Was he right or wrong to do what he did? Why?