Great Gatsby 1-2
You may either copy and paste the following questions with your answers in the text box or download the word document and attach it with your answers.
The Great Gatsby
Directions: Answer the following questions in 2-3 COMPLETE sentences.
1. Notice how many times Fitzgerald uses the words hope, or dream. Why does he do this? What is the effect on the chapter?
2. Nick starts the novel by relaying his father's advice "Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone, just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had." What does this quote mean? What are Nick’s advantages? Do you agree with his father? Why or Why not?
3. Pay attention to time. What is the day and year during the first scene at Daisy's house? Why is this significant? What does this do with the overall setting of the story?
4. Describe Nick. What facts do you know about him, and what do you infer about him? What kind of a narrator do you think he will be? Why do you think that?
5. What image does the author use to describe Jordan Baker? What does it mean? How does this relate to her as a character?
6. How does Nick react to Jordan? Why do you think he reacted in this way?
7. What does Tom's behavior reveal about his character? What type of man is he?
1. Describe the "valley of ashes." What does it look like and what does it represent?
2. Why does the chapter begin with the eyes of Doctor T.J. Eckleburg? How are they described and what do you think they represent?
3. Describe Mr. Wilson and Myrtle. Do they seem to fit into the setting? Why or why not?
4. What more have you learned about Nick in this chapter? Is he similar or different than the people he spends his time with? How can you tell?
5. Describe the violent act Tom committed against Myrtle. What does this reveal about Tom? How do the other people in the room react? Why?
6. Describe the apartment in the city, pay close attention to the furniture and the other belongings. Why is it significant to the story? What does it reveal about Myrtle as a character?
7. How does the chapter end? What does this say about Nick in regards to the time period?