Read pages 150-167, Articles 39-43, and answer the questions on page 167.
1. What does it mean to say that the Church is hierarchical? Why is it necessary for the Church to be hierarchical?
2. In what way are the Holy See, the diocese, the parish, and the family related in the hierarchy?
3. In what way is the Pope the visible sign of the Church unity?
4. In what way is the Pope the successor to Peter?
5. In what specific ways does a bishop sanctify the Church?
6. What are some examples of the collegial nature of the bishops?
7. Describe the relationship between a bishop and a priest.
8. Describe the responsibilities of a priest.
9. Explain what a deacon is and describe three of his primary areas of service.